Friday, November 02, 2007

I got a new job

I've become what you might call a "city transit guy". Angie takes the kids to school and because we're not a 2 car family I'm stuck riding the train. I say stuck like I just pushed order on the arsenic site and I'm making plans to off my wife. The truth is, I'm happy to ride and even happier with our new system. I get more time to read and Angie gets more time out and about as she calls it.

Because of this system I've gotten into a bit of a routine, which I never thought I'd like, but its actually kind of cool. Alarm goes off at the same time. Having only 14 minutes before my bus leaves yet still needing to dry off, get dressed, wipe peanut butter on my toast and throw last night's dinner into my backpack. Then whipping out the door while kissing the family goodbye and trotting across the road with only seconds to spare. Its kinda fun.

When I arrive on the bus I usually end up sitting by some woman over 50 because I've disocovered they're the nicest and don't mind scooting over a bit to accomadate my enormous bu. . .its a wierd phenomenon actually, the rest of me is skinny. As I ride I read. It only ever amounts to like 18 minutes but its a great way start to my day. Currently I'm reading this. I highly recommend it btw, hilarious and poignant.

Anyways, about a month ago, I began to notice this black fella as I got off at my last stop. He was handing out The Metro to everyone who would take it. The first few weeks I just ran on by, having already read the thing, but lately I've taken a bit more time to notice. The guy is cheerful. Unbelievably so. I can't imagine a worse job then handing out free newspapers in the worst area of town to a bunch of hooligans and grouchoes. Most people just run on past, including me, but lately I've slowed my pace and noticed. Good morning sir he'll say, in a british accent and so I'll reciprocate. . .Good morning. Last week I tried something different adding- I've already read it - to my repetoire. He'd laugh then say something to the effect of "I just missed you then." I would then skip off to work having just been cheered up by a man with no reason to be cheerful.

This morning I couldn't help myself. As I came down the stairs I reached out and grabbed his arm and did the squeeze shake thing. It was wierd, and corny, but the guy is just so dang cheerful I had to do something. As I grabbed him I said "haha, I already read it" which in retrospect was beyond moronic but he flashed his smile anyway and said "I just missed you then" then laughed a nice hearty laugh. I'm reminded of The Truman Show here but it really did go down like that.

As I bounded off to work I began to reflect on the difference this man has made in my life. His chosen career includes handing out free news to the disinterested yet he acts like its the best job he's ever had. It's made me realize many things but the biggest is: best jobs are relative. We can choose to love what we do or we can choose to be unsatisfied and pursue something else. This man has chosen to love what he does and because of that, he's helped me do the same.

I told someone last week I got a new job. They were shocked. But they don't know this man.

John

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh man, i've had the job of "city transit rider" for a while now! however, i'm usually much less cheery and a lot more groggy, grumpy, and lost in my headphones.

Anonymous said...

You're so nice, maybe your job could include cheering up all the transit riders in Calgary so that they will all be nicer to your friends....and everyone else!
Hope

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, I only came to your blog, because it was part of your status on Facebook! Good, eh?
Hope (again)

morgan ward said...

great post buddy. good to hear about your new perspective. can't wait to hang out with you this christmas.

Ty

Anonymous said...

whoops. im on my friend's wife's computer...i thought I put in my email and password but I guess not. haha. later.