Sunday, November 04, 2007

As if

As we were driving back from papers this morning, Maddie looked over and calmly reminded me that she no longer believes in Santa. Cool as a cucumber I replied "why not" - as if there was a perfectly legitimate reason that she should. As if he can deliver all those presents in one night, she said- like she was trying to convince me. As if. Implying. . . how could anybody be so stupid as to actually believe one man, ONE MAN, could deliver all those presents. I wanted to say, uh, well. . you could be that stupid. In fact, you were that stupid. . .for seven years. As was I. And all of you. But I didn't. Thad be stupid. And mean. Bad fathering really.

Its funny how it finally dawns on us. One day we're totally buying it and the next day we're intellectual snobs, Santa, pfff, As if. The funny thing is nothing has changed. We haven't stumbled across some incriminating evidence linking the legend of Santa Claus to Wal-Mart or Tim Allen. We didn't catch our parents prancing around the house with presents in hand or bent down by the tree adjusting the gifts. I know for a fact my dad never pranced. Or bent down. So why I ask, why did we stop believing? And don't say we grew up or realized it was stupid because we have proved we are willing to believe in things a lot more far fetched then a nice man doling out gifts.

For example, how many of you are Flames fans? Still think their gonna win the cup?
How many of you are wives? Still think your man will be fart free one day?
How many of you are husbands? Still think your woman will come around on the whole farting thing?

See what I mean.

John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ho! Ho! Ho!