Monday, November 05, 2007

At least I don't throw Salt over my shoulder

Yesterday one of my teens asked if it was wrong to make wishes. I thought about all the times I had shut my eyes, desired fame and fortune then crunched down on my favorite Old Dutch. I thought about coins and how I had chucked them into wells and how that blue genie promised me 3 wishes if I separated my fingers and said Nanew Nanew. "Nah, I don't think so," was my spiritual response, then I countered by asking - "do you think it is?" She shook her head but the damage had already been done. We spent the rest of the time discussing wishes and the importance of walking in front of ladders.

Most people seem to be at least somewhat superstitious. I know I am. I haven't chucked Salt over my shoulder but I have retained facial hairs in the hope of seeing my Oilers build off their one game winning streak. Currently my face feels like a well lotioned bum.

I shared this with my teens (not the bum part) admitting that although I'm supertitious my superstitiousness is playful. For instance, I've been known to read my horoscope. When a goalie has a shutout going I refrain from saying "looks like he's gonna get a shutout." When I preach I wear my best underwear. When I buy milk I take the one at the back. When I walk, I avoid the cracks. I even hum a little tune when I go through yellow lights believing it throws the cops off. See. Playful right?
Although this makes me very odd, I'm no witch. Or Harry Potter. Which is great because my British Accent is East Indian. Besides, these habits are more OCD then OCCULT. I'm a man of nostalgic routine so I do silly things. Confession: My kids have learned from my example and can now be seen grabbing way in the back grocery items just like wierd dad. Behold, the sins of the father will be passed to the 3rd and 4th generations. Sorry about that grandkids.

In the end I convinced the class that I still believed in God, I just like colder milk. It was a good discussian. Made James come alive.

John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superstition is not the sole reason for taking the milk at the back. If you look at the fine print you may also see that it has a later expiry date.

Anonymous said...

best three posts i've read in a long time. keep it up.