Friday, November 16, 2007

Is Blogging dead?

If not, it's close. People don't blog because they want to become better writers. They blog because they feel obligated to "update" those who care. Its kinda sweet but lets be honest, now that Facebook is upon us why would we still engage in this crazy behaviour. Why write 500 words when you can write 5 or less on someone's wall. "I got a new job." "I'm no longer single." "I just discovered my birthmark is actually a third nipple." Blogging's tough because it encourages more words then 5. And better words then brb. Try blogging just 5 words sometime. I dare you. It'll feel like you went to work with only socks on. Or had just one Lays. (that's the chips by the way, dirty minded people)

We used to be a blogging community now it's once a month and usually sounds something like this "Man sorry guys, I don't know what's come over me. I used to blog all the time but now I just never can find the time. Well anyways, all is well, life is good. Blah Blah Freakin Blah." What's the deal? If you don't want to blog then erase the wretched thing and sell your soul to Facebook. Just don't come around here with your courtesy blogs doing it because, well I have a blog I might as well blog. And definitely don't do it for the ones in your life who care because they probably don't. Unless you're willing to write for real. That probably sounded more harsh then funny John intended.

I'm afraid even young Nicholas has fallen prey. In his case, I don't think the culprit is Facebook. Probably just got busy. *Laughter erupts*. I for one miss the guy. It used to be automatic. Every morning I'd awake excited to read yet another witty diatribe on absolutely nothing. It was my morning e-votional. Yet here I sit, 18 days dry.

Its not even just Nick that's left me parched. It's Kamara, Brian, Tim, Dave, Chelsey and computerless Blair. Jeremy's done a bit better and Jay is working on 3 days straight although YouTube doesn't count as a blog J, I tried that too. I'd say I miss my man Ty but the day that boy starts blogging my Oilers will stop getting injured.

In some ways, who am I to talk? I've gone in spurts at best but it's mostly because I sense the deadening of our community. I love to write and am one of the few who blogs in the hopes of actually improving but I'd much rather write for dialogue.

So what do you say? Let's bring back the blogging. Pick a day and just stick with it. Go ahead and do your Facebook, I've been seduced by it convenience too but in the end let's not leave the world of the blog. It goes beyond the wall as it teaches us to use words, a forgotten gift in our culture of lol's.

John

P.S. I just noticed Brian blogged today. Will you look at that.

3 comments:

Scrawney John Smith said...

I'll blog tomorrow. It's the same day I plan to PA (Procrastinators Anonymous). I tried to go to the last meeting but it was postponed, of course.

scrawney

Ian said...

I noticed that it was 11 days since you last blogged. I tend to like blogs that have pictures. If I want philosophy I can read a book like "Will the Real Heritics Please Stand Up" or read my Bible. Anyway, I enjoy your thoughts and your attempts at humour.

Anonymous said...

you hit me hard.
i've been feeling a little dead lately and this inspires me to hit it up again.
i do however have less to say, i've been saving all my good material for my book.
vive la blog, biatch.