Wednesday, March 07, 2007

worship.

Poor Lex has "chicken pops". I have to admit that at first I was kind of excited because chicken pox are a milestone of sorts and I have fond memories of skipping school, watching TV and being a little spoiled. I forgot about the intense itching, sleepless nights and many reminders to not scratch or pick. So, not as fun as it sounds. Or maybe you never did think it sounded fun. I don't know- that's always a possibility.

John had me listen to some Derek Webb this morning. I mean, he forced me to sit undistracted and listen. He did the same thing with Jars of Clay. The problem with me is I can be very judgemental. I had my mind made up many moons ago (say that 10 times fast) about Christian "rock". Or worship music. Especially worship music. Now before thoughts of What? She doesn't like to worship God? enter your head let me just say of course I do. I believe we all do, but it certainly doesn't have to look like tigger-bouncing to cliched lyrics that transition to calm as the music fades and someone talks softly into the mic about, hey, more cliches about God, followed by soft generic piano and an invitiation. Oh, and a light show. I'm just saying, this was my narrow and rather snarky judgement and why, when John brought home Jars of Clay, I may have made one or two snide remarks. Maybe. I can't remember. But my point is this. I love the honesty, the doubt, the vulnerability of these two cds and I listen to Jars of Clay on a regular basis, and I'm sure it'll be the same with DW (see? I'm already on a shorten to cute nickname basis). It may have started with me slyly putting them on when John left the house because I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it, but I am now boldly saying that if I were to walk into a Christian bookstore the chances are pretty high that I would find a cd or two to buy. And of course there's Means, but that's in a different league altogether, right? And apparently if I don't plug their new cd that just came out I will be excommunicated from blog world. Plus they're really good. And our kids like them, so...great for the whole family. OK, maybe this is more like an anti plug, so I'll stop now.

Ang

P.S. Check out our new Water Day ad. Heck, participate even.

1 comment:

xblairx said...

means=greatest band ever
derek webb beats the crap out of chris tomlin anyday...

seriously, i heard he beats the crap out of him all the time. it's not very nice.