Thursday, January 18, 2007

chamois

So, I painted our walls what was supposed to be a soft tan (I know. Boring.), but to my shock and horror it looked more pukey, pea soupy, yellow- green as I painted it on. This is the great injustice of wall colour- it never turns out like you envision and then people mock you. Well, you'll be relieved to know that it has since cured to what my friend Hope calls deerskin (believe me, a definate improvement from pea soup). I prefer to call it chamois. Basically the same thing, but much more elegant. And if anybody knows John and I, they know we're elegant. Nothing but formalities at the Close residence.

What I'm trying to say is that our renos are almost done.

I've also been enjoying all the blog talk on baptism and hell. I mean, who wouldn't? I think next time we should discuss capital punishment or celebrity couples and their tiny hairless dogs. Really, I do love reading all the different view points represented, because there was a time not long ago (back when I was knee high to a grasshopper...) when these discussions would have been unthinkable. In my own experience I've found it very eye opening to look into some historical, cultural backgrounds (while trying to disengage from 200 hundred year old rhetoric taught by well meaning, unwavering Sunday school teachers). It was, and is sometimes still, very hard for me to read the Bible with fresh eyes. Without those voices saying "Well, clearly this passage is talking about salvation" or "Of course that passage is about hell, it says destruction". But I find it very encouraging that we live in a time when we are seeking truth with enough eagerness to challenge the things that have gone unchallenged for a couple centuries.

So thanks for the discussion.

Ang

4 comments:

Davis Family said...

Angie, have you read How to be a Canadian by Will Ferguson? It is one of my favorites - thought you might like it.
Roberta

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...touche, Angie! So, now I'm not elegant, eh? ;-)
Hope

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

That's really stretching it, Hope. But after John's attempts, I'll let it slide.

Ang

Anonymous said...

Roberta, it's funny you said that- I was totally thinking about all things Canadian last night (strange things happen when I can't sleep). I'll have to check out that book. Right now I'm reading Galileo's Daughter and I'm really enjoying it.

Ang