Friday, December 22, 2006

Maxim sucks

So I'm a little surprised that I stood up in the theatre last night, raised my fists in the air and started chanting "Rocky, Rocky, Rocky." Granted, I was excited but still. . .I'm not sure if the other 7 guys I went with were as excited or even the other 77 or so theatre goers. I like to think they were. I like to think that as I stood chanting Rocky's name that they leaned over to their girlfriend or guyfriend and said "dude, that guy rocks." For those of you who haven't seen it, go see it. Rocky, heck even his fans, will find redemption in this last installment.

Speaking of guy friends, I'd like to extend a hearty welcome to Benji Straker and his family. Benji is a good friend from back in my college days and although we haven't seen as much of each other lately, I still haven't forgetten how he used to make out with that tree. . .
One quick note on Benji, he prefers to be called Benj. For obvious reasons. Benji takes way to long to say and if you've ever tried to write it all out you're lucky to make it all the way through without losing your patience and throwing your **##%#* pen against the wall.
Stupid **##%#*name that takes so long to write. No biggie, just call him Benj. That's all.

Many of you know the Homeless project I've been involved in. Well we're just about finished and I can't tell you how inspiring it has been. Seriously, I really can't, its part of the confidentially agreement. Just kidding. In just our first year we managed to get 350 stories of Calgary's homeless and as of right now there are only a handful of people who haven't recieved gifts. Yesterday I was at the Drop In Centre organizing all the gifts and I was blown away by the genorosity of so many Calgarians. Heck, there were in some Reginatonians who UPSed some gifts here. Amazing. . .that their called Reginatonians. Even more amazing though that people 2 provinces away sent gifts. The vision is to take this project across country and ultimately across North America. I encourage you to go read some of the stories. Perhaps your sterotype will be destroyed. Maybe your heart will be touched.

In other news. . .

- The Oilers are in first. . .again. Is there anyone more entertaining to watch then Ales "watch me dangle" Hemsky? Speaking of dangling, go to Benj's blog (B.S.) and see a 13yrold give Ales a run for his money.

- It's a Wonderful Life was just named the worst Christmas movie of all time by Maxim magazine.

- Maxim Magazine was just named the worst magazine of all time by this guy.

- 3 days till Christmas

- 50 days till Disneyland

- 247 days till our 10 yr anniversary

Merry Christmas everyone!

John

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, Ales is a 6-goal wonder to watch....dangle his way up to 20 maybe...lol

Good job on the homeless gift-giving venture....you were truly hand-picked to help lead this cause!

Again, Merry Xmas to all...enjoy first-place while you have it!

Steve

Anonymous said...

One more thing....what's a pastor doing reading a Maxim magazine in the first place?!

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

You're right Steve. Hemsky sucks.
I only think he's good because he's on the Oilers. Its more out of loyalty that I think he can dangle with the best of em. He really can't. Jerome on the other hand. Wow. Since Ryan Smyth got injured a month ago he finally passed him in scoring. Go Jerome!

J

Aisling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aisling said...

I agree with the title of this blog. Wonder what scale they used to dub it the worst movie? Donna Reed wasn't 'Maxim'-esque enough? At least they were smart enough not to have 'A Christmas Story' on their list. That would've caused a riot!!

Anonymous said...

Regina is two provinces over? Calgary has declared itself a province? Soon it will be it's own nation. And you have a Maxim subscription - I knew that Calgary Church of Christ was wild but...

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget that tree. Special times. Although I think it liked you better John.
Go Oil.

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Love Hemsky!

Merry Christmas!