Wednesday, November 01, 2006

boo

Halloween is so much fun. Not as fun as Christmas, but a close second, that's for sure. The best part is when teenagers ring the doorbell, with their safeway bags held out. Too cool to dress up and way too cool to say trick or treat, but definately not too cool to run around the block with all the tiny sponge bobs and princesses, asking strangers for candy. I like to tell them how cute they look in thier.... shoes and coats, with that....hair, and...those jeans. But, hey. Free candy.

That's not really the best part, just a part I enjoy. The best part, of course, is the chocolate bars. We have enough Coffee Crisps to last me till Christmas. The kids understand that Coffee Crisps are for mom, no questions. They may tease like they're going to eat one in front of me, but we all know that it's just a joke. A risky one, but a joke, none the less.

OK, wait. Better than that is the costumes. Alexa's the easiest one to dress up, because you can convince her that anything looks fantastic. She was a unicorn and she wanted me to paint her face sparkly purple, which, in the end looked more blothcy greyish pink. She was thrilled. The other two have stronger opinions. Ethan's lion face paint was totally out of the question until I made it dark brown. Because we all know lion's have dark brown faces (they don't). Maddie wanted to be a pretty witch (try to pull that off), but thankfully we had those sparkles!

Then there's the scary movie. We watched Candyman which was surprisingly even more disappointing the second time around. Why is it so hard to find a really good scary movie? All the supernatural stuff just doesn't seem to cut it. I get that the Candyman's bitter about his hands being cut off with a rusty hatchet, but a century of murder and torture? Really, a good therapist could do wonders for the poor guy. But, a movie like that is a must on Halloween, and if you don't find it scary you can always make fun of it. That's my motto!

Happy Halloween (belated, I guesse)

Ang

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I had almost as much fun: I got to walk to work in subzero weather, with drunk teens running around setting off fireworks and slurring, "Wanna fight?" I just kept my head down and feigned deafness.

Now, about Candyman... Yes, that movie was flat-out lame. If you ever want to get truly scared or grossed-out, have a gander at Saw or Hostel.