Sunday, May 18, 2008

Prayer as superstition

Beyond lucky underwear and ladders, most Christians wouldn't admit to being overly supersticious. It's in the realm of witches and goblins and Harry Potter. That being said, I think we're a more supersticious lot then we don't give ourselves credit for. Especially with prayer.

Ask most to define prayer and they'll say something to the effect of "talking to God." The liberal may say "talking WITH God." Either way, conversation is implied. The problem is, most of our conversation to/with God is done via 911. For example:

"Help me God *puke puke* Oh God please *puke* I promise *puke* I won't ever *puke* do *puke* that *puke* again. Thank you Jesus. *wipe face* Thank you God"

"Please God, help me pass that test tomorrow."

"Dear God, I know I haven't talked to you in awhile but I really need you now. Everything's falling apart. Please God, please Jesus, help me now."

"God, please help my house to sell. My family and I are planning to travel the world and have already booked tickets and accomadations."

Sound familiar?

The problem with these prayers is they're it. Our entire conversation to/with God. Instead of communing with the divine we ingest a lucky charm (they're magically delicious). Weeks, even months go by, meanwhile, we live our lives not giving God a second thought until. . .TRAGEDY STRIKES. Stress becomes too much. Or most often, our moral failings catch up with us and we're forced to deal.

Here's the harsh reality. If we only pray when we're in trouble, we don't want God, we want magic which is why we resort to superstition; closing of eyes, bowing of head, bowing of knee (optional) and mumbling of words to an unknown being. How must this seem to God?

Here's a challenge for us all. Go one week without calling 911. Only talk to God to become more like him or to thank him for allowing you to live in a country free of cyclones and earthquakes. If you're feeling especially eager, pray on behalf of the hundreds of thousands who've lost their lives and the millions who feel like they have. Try it and see what happens. You'll either realize how superstious you really are or you'll be relieved to know you actually care.

John

1 comment:

chelsey said...

good challenge.