Friday, May 09, 2008

Junta

I awoke this morning to 6 inches of snow. It's May 9 so that's cool. I thought about complaining but then I remembered my "smack with a newspaper" comment from the previous post so I said nothing. I also awoke to discover the Junta Military in Myanmar has seized the latest food shipment, confiscating it from the UN. That's right, seized. This is the worst example of "biting the hand that feeds you" I have heard of. In the UN's words, "the food is now sitting on the tarmac doing no good." The food was destined to feed 95,000 people.

I barely even know what to say. What military regime is so twisted that it would deny life saving food and medical supplies to thier own countrymen all because "they're wary of outsiders"? The Junta have behaved appalingly and should be ashamed. Part of me wonders when it becomes time for outside interferance, although in saying this, I realize the implications and the thousand cans of worms it would open. For instance, many would argue the U.S. "interfered" in Iraq and look where that's gotten us. At the same time, the Allies "interfered" in Nazi Germany and virtually all would feel good about that.

Bottom Line: Injustice sucks huge.

John

1 comment:

Davis Family said...

I also struggle with the whole international interference thing when I consider the situation in Zimbabwe. Really, I don't like interference but why should man-made borders give corrupt people the right to do what they want within them?