Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Break

Sitting on my butt actually. And reading. A ton. And watching Canada win. A lot. And laughing every evening at The Best Yet Most Underated Television Show In The History Of Television. Arrested Development. Besides that. . .playing street hockey with Ethan, laughing with Lex at Elf then rewinding and laughing even harder. Completing the "Human Faces Art Book, Tips, Questions and More", written by Maddison Close. And last but not least - doing the papers for my wife which is incredibly sexy. ..apparently. All in all it's been a fantastic holiday. A real break. Just what I needed after a mammoth project.

Tonight we have great friends coming over for good food. Speaking of great friends, Jay and Shannon were here last Sunday and as always we had a delightful visit. I like the word delightful. It's pigtail cheery. Tomorrow, I'm headed across town to visit with a good buddy who's back from the South. Next week, Angie and I plan to see a couple movies, probably Atonement and Dewey Cox (guess who picked which movie, you have 3 seconds). I start back to work Jan 2 which is still far enough away that I don't have to shower or shave. Tyler Butel has promised to slot me in, once, which is good of him considering he's so important. There's also talk of some bball before the break ends. A last ditch effort to shed unwanted pounds. I remember a time when bball is all I was, now it's a 1 hr slot on a packed holiday schedule. I'd love to say I still got game but the last time I dunked was 11 years ago.

I said I've been reading a lot and I have. I'm not lying ok. Jeez. My habit has been non fiction in the day and fiction in the evening. During the day I've been absorbed in The Portable Athiest. There's just something about Christmas that brings out my heretical ness. All jokes aside, its been a very good read and I've learned a ton in areas previouly unexplored. Much of it is rants written from men fuming over the carnage religion has left in its path but every once in while someone like Mark Twain will stop me dead and I'll find myself mulling for several minutes - struck with an unplesant truth. Einstein has been provocative as has Darwin. He's not what most think he was. Darwin I mean. He's more. Anyways, my faith has felt fuller lately and I must give credit to this unlikely source. I would recommend it but I fear that may be going to far. For obvious reasons. So don't read it. . .I recommend that you don't read it.

Life is good in Close land. Thanks for stopping by. It makes us feel loved.

John

1 comment:

Kori and the Lovely Lisa said...

I think I will read it, yes read it I will.
Kori Jones ( who is catching up on lost years of reading when I was a stable productive member of society)
-check out 'bones of contention' for a interesting non-fiction, eye opening, informative...good solid book.