Saturday, October 13, 2007

We think we need things

Guess I should get married. All my friends are. Probably should get a cell phone. It is 2007 you know. Just got Facebook. Better, if I hope to have friends. Need a new pair of jeans. My other pair is dirty. Time for another vacation. Been working hard. Lets redo the kitchen. We have the money.

We think we need things.

I guess we do. Its just hard to know which things. Do I really need that or do I just want it? How is one to know? Dictionary.com tells us that a need is "anything that we lack that is necessary." Pretty good definition. Although, what's necessary? For many a cell phone is. Even a vacation. For others not so much but they have the money so might as well. I still don't have a cell phone. Many times I think I need one yet something keeps me from signing on. I'm not sure what it is. God probably doesn't care what I do. He's got other things to worry about. Although, he probably assumes I'm worried about those same things, which, I am. I think. I probably will get a cell phone, I am in ministry after all, and I'm over 30 which means by law I'm supposed to carry one on my belt, to the left of my fanny pack. Still. . .do I need it? If I haven't for 30 years, why would I now?

Maybe my needs have changed. They probably have. Although, maybe my wants have increased. There's a good chance. I have more money then I ever have at any time in my life. Isn't that what growing up is all about, increasing your net worth? Security's important I guess, but do I really need a $300,000 house, ten of thousands in RRSP's and a half a million dollar life insurance policy? I'm convinced I do, obviously, but does that mean I do?

3 Billion people live on less then $2 a day. They obviously don't need those things. Its not even an option for them. So they make do. Do I make do, do you? And then some.

What would my lifestyle look like if I just made do? I guess first I would have to sit down and make a list of my needs. Then a list of my wants. Then give away all my wants and tend to my needs. Man, biggest garage sale in history that would be. Sorry John, you don't need 100+ dvds. Or an Ipod. Ok, you can keep the new car but only because you spent $6000 on your last one and it still blew up.

This is hard stuff to wrap my mind around. Are my needs dictated by where I live (300,000 for a house is bottom of the market) how much money I make (I'm just below average) and security (I'm just being responsible)? Is security today's Baal? Do I need God if everything's been taken care of? Of course I do, what if I get a disease? (I answer quickly)

Tomorrow I begin my fall series with the teens. We're talking about, wait for it. . .Consumerism. Needs vs Wants. That kind of stuff. I figured I should probably decide what I think on the subject before I implore them to think for themselves.

I think I've decided. I need to keep thinking. Especially after reading this:

"And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others."

- 2 Corinthians 9:8 (Msg)

John

No comments: