Saturday, August 11, 2007

Strengths

I know what you're thinking. Finally a post about me. Perhaps. We shall see.

I had the PLEASURE of attending Willow Creek's Leadership Summit on Thurs and Friday. Bill Hybels is a classy fellow and I have to give him full props. He speaks from the heart and always manages to make inroads into mine. I especially applaud his public admission of his neglection of the poor. There are few men that have more influence in Churchworld then Mr. Bill so to hear him publically declare before 100000 leaders our need to eradicate poverty - well, it was music to my soul.

My Summit highlights were Richard Curtis and Marcus Buckingham although I have to give honorable mention to Colin (prounounced Colon) Powell. I was especially amused to hear a Colon talking about probing the organization. Tee hee. All jokes aside, he was very good too. Definitely didn't stink the place up. Ha ha, oh John, you're too much.

Richard and ol Marcus hit me the hardest though.

Richard Curtis is a film director, producer and writer. In fact he wrote Mr Bean, Notting Hill, Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral so you already know he's funny. On top of that though he is HUGELY involved in the fight to eradicate Poverty which is why he Co founded Make Poverty History as well as Produced Idol Gives back. Through his efforts his has raised Billions of Dollars and mobilized Hundreds of the kind of people with Huge Coin, as well as normal people like me. Anyways, I quite like the guy, especially now, and each day I check the mailbox to see if the life size poster of him has come in. Not really.

As inspiring as Richard Curtis was, Marcus B was my favorite. He wrote the best selling book - Go Put Your Strengths to Work, among other ones. The man is all about the strength, which is humerous, because he's quite skinny and British and very white. Still, he's hilarious and very very smart. I don't recall taking a breath throught the entire hour. I really believe that his stuff if put into practice could be revolutionary. - especially for the 20's crowd. The amazing thing is his stuff is so basic you'd think everyone would already know. His basic premise is - we must live our lives through our strengths. Most of us believe in order to become more successful we must strengthen our weaknesses. Marcus claims we must forget about our weaknesses and instead focus on strengthening our strengths. We are to choose our top 3 and then organize our entire life around them. For instance, if your strength is making people laugh, well you'd probably me, (my other strengths are humility and juggling) - but seriously, if humor is your strength then the theory is you are to use it in everything - vocation, relationships, leadership etc - even reorganize your life to play to your strengths. If you live your life through your strengths all aspects of your life will be stronger, yes, even your weaknesses.

If you don't know your strengths do this. Carry a pad and pen everywhere you go for one week. Every time you do something that you love, write it down. And I mean everything, a job, hobby, conversation, a choice, anything. At the same time everytime you do something you hate, write that down. Chart out the two categories. At the end of your week read them over and your strengths will bubble to the surface, as well as your weaknesses. Pick the top 3 strengths, put them to work and you shall have your revolution. I'm excited to get started.

His book is like a billion pages long and my strength is not summarizing or shortness so I'll stop. Just go read it. If your strength isn't reading, well, cunundrum.
The Summit was a good thing. I'm glad I went.

Before I sign off, I should quickly comment on Bonds.

He broke the record as we all knew he would and I was fortunate enough to see it live on my Tv, no highlights. I must admit, even though I know he's more doped up then a doped up person on dope, when he hit the home run I do believe I jumped up and yelled Whoo Hoo!

I'm not sure why I was so gladened by it especially when it seems so obvious he cheated.

Not sure at all.

Really don't know.

Hmmm.

John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was pretty special being at this conference in South Carolina and wondering what you were thinking about that we were both hearing at the same time. I knew the focus on the poor was music to your ears and I am glad they were playing your song this week, John. Not "You are my sunshine..." which used to be your favorite song sung by your favorite mommy.

My favorite talk was by John Ortberg. He used the book of Esther to help us understand the concept of what he called our "Shadow Mission." The secret things in our lives that keep us from being all that we desire to be. He wanted to know who the "Mordecai's" are in our lives who love and care about us enough to point out that if we don't deal with our "shadow missions" that we may not be able to be used in a powerful way "for such a time as this" as Esther was used to save the Israelite nation. I also loved the way he reminded us of Esther's response to Mordecai's challenge to go to the King and ask to spare the lives of the Jewish people. She said, "and if I perish, I perish." Most of us cannot comprehend that kind of commitment to our families, much less strangers. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY I loved the way John Ortberg pointed out that Esther is the only book in the Bible that does not mention the name of God but He was there lurking in the background to bring about His purposes by using people whose hearts were open to Him. It gave me a sense of security to think about the times in my life that God was still in the background even though I did not speak His name. I am glad you have such a passion for the poor, John. I prayed a lot for your this weekend that God would show you clearly how you can most effectively help make a difference with your "Holy Discontent" of so many who have so little. I would love to dream that it would be through the church. Even Richard Curtis, who is "still figuring out the faith pieces of the puzzle" noted that if the churches in our world would combine resources we could come close to eradicating the poor and Aids pandemic in our lifetime! Wow and from the mouthes of...

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Hey John! I love Buckingham's stuff...was especially sad not to be going to Summit this year because he was there but, alas, maybe I'll see the DVD. Anyway, I think you're totally right on your thoughts about the strengths stuff he talks about. Can you imagine how revolutionary it would be if we all worked that way: focusing on our strengths and mobilizing that way instead of worrying about our weaknesses?! Oh man! It's a pretty incredible thought to me, really. I'm excited that there are pockets of church culture that are getting it - if God created us each unique (with specific strengths) it's a shame we don't do a better job of empowering people to find and recognize them!!!

Anyway, that's my rant...keeping it short for once.

Have you done the Strengthsfinder evaluation? I'd be curious to hear what yours are. Mine was pretty bang on!

Davis Family said...

Note taking is not one of my strengths so I am afraid I'd be a complete failure at your excercise. Oh, well I guess my strengths and weeknesses will just have to remain a mystery!
Bert