Monday, August 06, 2007

My Vacation Post

Ahhh. Such a sweet vacation. I stayed true to my word and spent most of it sitting on my butt in the backyard whilst spitting seeds and gulping coffee. I think I've found my true calling in this world. . One of the books I read was a gem called The Kite Runner. I knew the risk involved in starting a 400 pager especially one of this depth but 36 hours later I was finished, in more ways than one. I'm not one to cry whilst reading a book, Angie does enough of that for the both of us, but this one did me in. That being said, as with all great books it also managed to put me back together again. Themes of injustice and inequality always manage to wreck me but I still seem to come back for more. Perhaps thats not an all together bad thing.

Another book I read was recommended to me by Steve McMillan. It's called "Let your Life Speak." Its about how to discern your vocation by knowing your true self. I know, I know, it sounds like another "one of those" - but it isn't. Very provocative and highly recommended for any of you tredding water in the ocean of career or self. Its already forced me to ask some tough questions. Still awaiting the answers though.

Besides reading, I watched some great movies. Last night, Angie and I saw The Bourne Ultimatum. Already being a fan of both the series and Matt Damon chances were high that it wouldn't disapoint. It was incredible, maybe even the best of the three. Go see it.
I also rewatched The Skeleton Key, Catch me if you Can and a whole lot of Arrested Developement - even funnier the 2nd time.

Ha, if you think I'm the laziest son of a gun alive you'd be right. Although, there's no other way to holiday in my books. That being said, we did get out and do some cool stuff - the best being Drumheller - the dinosaur place/home of Jaydee Bixby, depending which you like more. The dinosaurs were truly amazing, I couldn't hardly believe I was staring face to face with bones 300 million years old - especially since scientists planted them in the ground 200 years ago in order to discredit the bible. Sorry, sometimes the cynicism just leaps out of me.

We also went to the park with the kids and dogs, the highlight there being teaching the kids how to bravely climb a tree then beam with pride as their Dad carves their initials into the same tree. As much as it pains me to say it, we even managed to get some work done including completing reno's began 3 yrs ago - you know how that goes. It felt good to get it done even if I swore I wouldn't lift a finger this week.

I start back to work tomorrow excited and energized to go another round with the teens. This will be my 7th year in youth ministry which makes me 31 and apparently a glutton for punishment. All jokes aside, I am looking forward to this year as we return to Mexico and get even more involved in social justice. I'm also working with the young adults this year which I'm very excited about, the 20 somethings are neat. Unlike that description.

Next time you book "holidays" do yourself a favor and keep to the backyard. It'll soothe your soul.

John

7 comments:

chelsey said...

"i doubt that... if you were in your office we'd be having this conversation face to face"

ZING!

Jordan said...

"The dinosaurs were truly amazing, I couldn't hardly believe I was staring face to face with bones 300 million years old - especially since scientists planted them in the ground 200 years ago in order to discredit the bible."

Yeah, I heard it was Darwin himself who planted all the fossils (every last one) with the help of Satan. He was sitting there one day, reading the Communist Manifesto, listening to heavy metal music, and smoking marijuana cigarettes, when it suddenly dawned on him that there must be more effective ways to destroy the moral fabric of society. Then, on cue, along came The Prince of Darkness (or should I say Father of Science?), who incidentally bore a remarkable resemblance to Richard Dawkins. Draw your own conclusion. At any rate, he was like (in a British accent), "Hey, want to discredit the Bible?", and Darwin was like, "Absolutely... But how?"
Dawk-- er, Satan then revealed his nefarious plan: "First, you take all the dinosaur fossils in the world and move them to corresponding strata, then you modify all relevant parent/daughter isotope ratios in said strata to trick future generations into thinking they're hundreds of millions of years old, when, in fact, they're only 6,000 years old, as you and I both know. When you're done, we'll get started on non-dinosaur fossils. This could take a while. Oh, and by the way, you'll probably want to grow a beard to make yourself look more scientific. And lose the nose-ring."
Alas, their plan failed with the masses, who couldn't tell science from a hole in the ground... Talk about wasted effort. ;-)
On a serious note, Bourne Ultimatum is on my must-see list right now... Just waiting for the DVD. Other movies you might want to check out: Half Nelson, Pan's Labyrinth, Mr. Brooks, The Proposition (the one with Guy Pearce), The Prestige, Apocalypto. That's my recently-viewed-and-enjoyed list.

Anonymous said...

Nice of you to visit us in Drumheller.........ahem........

O well, glad you enjoyed your time off the way you wanted to. Perhaps we'll get together before Summer's end. We'll let Angie and Aisling figure that out if they are interested. Boys will be starting elementary school by then?!

Just for reference, we'll be camping in Drumheller again on the August 17th weekend, and then in Lethbridge the Labor Day weekend. (Just in case you wanted to check those places out and not see us)?!

Hope those books were good reading....I tend to not read a lot of those types of books cause then I might actually have a guilty complex if I didn't learn anything or change positively.

Have a go0d WORK week!

Steve

Anonymous said...

John,

As you can see, now that I'm "retired" I am starting to keep up with your blogging.

Was that comment one of your sardonic gems, or did someone actually make that claim - about "scientists" surreptitiously burying the bones?

Actually, my biggest disappoinment about our visit there is that we didn't go to Drumheller. Angie asked if I would like that and since it was the first day after our trek around the zoo, I didn't want to walk ever again. So maybe next time were are up there we can plan on it. Or perhaps you could just bring them down with you the next time you come.

By the way, after we got home and you mentioned going to Drunheller, Karen asked me about it. She was totally extatic (that there was such a site) and dpressed that we hadn't gone when we were there. I didn't tell her that Angie had suggested it and I had expressed disinterest. So now when she reads this - as I'm sure she will ...

Scrawney John Smith said...

the dinosaurs in Drumheller are a bit overrated in my opinion. I prefer the hoodoos. They're a blast to climb. they don't let you do tht on the dinosaurs

Scrawney

Carolyn said...

John and Angie,

Hi there! I enjoy reading your blog - you both make me laugh. John you always have, but I never had the chance to really get to know you Angie. I think I missed out!

So, a few questions. Am I right that you are transitioning out of home-schooling. Can I ask why? My boys are all still young but I wonder about the reality of homeschooling - can you give me some insight.

We are in Mexico City - where, in Mexico, are you bringing your teens John? Would be neat if we could meet up. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Ok - that's all for now.

Take care,
Carolyn Brednich (Wiebe)

Craig,Leah,Lena said...

kite runner. good one. i read it too. my first book in 12 years - since Lord of the Flies in grade 12.