Monday, June 11, 2007

Action

This past month has been like an action movie - constant motion with a sub par plot. Oh yeah, and a hot chick. Love ya Ang. We're scheduled to finish shooting this month, about the same time summer rolls into town.

As I peruse your blogs it appears you are shooting the same film. Sometimes there is so much life to shoot its hard to find time to do normal things like blog, stay in touch with friends, shower, etc.

Speaking of action, Angie just informed me that our darling cat Rusty may in fact be dead, squished in the head from a miscellaneous driver. As Maddison and I ran over, hearts pumping, there the cat laid, stuck to the road like a block of furry ice. After 10 minutes of poking and prodding with a stick borrowed from a concerned neighbor it became obvious it wasn't Rusty but the property of 294-6454. We came home relieved yet saddened that some poor little girl named Daisy with solid pigtails and a million dollar smile was about to discover that her best friend Ginger would not be coming home for supper tonight, or any night. I ended the bad news conversation by encouraging them to view the body before the City trucks transported Ginger to the afterdump. Ready, Set, Action. So much action.

Yesterday my teens led our Sunday morning church service. We had 20+ involved in everything from greeting, to handing out bulletins, to leading us in worship, to passing and praying but most of all acting, in a skit we wrote called The Grind. It ended up being an amazing morning and once again I was reminded why it is that I do what I do. Witnessing a teen living up to their potential is about as rare as catching a rose in mid bloom but oh what a sight when you do catch a view. As I end my 6th year in the biz, the witness of such things continues to insure another year in the game. We end off the year with our annual garage sale this week, all profits sending the teens and me to Mexico next summer - as well , we are honoring our grads with a John Style Banquet.

Last night I stayed up late watching presidential hopefulls Obama, Edwards and Hilary do their best to convince the world that God is the greatest and so are they. Jim Wallis organized the thing and I actually quite enjoyed it when I gave them all the benefit of the doubt. Who would have thought the day would ever come when America would pin their leadership hopes on a black man, a chick and a guy with an annoying accent. I was most impressed by Hilary. Although I do wonder how she'll juggle the responsibilities of both the United States of America and the kitchen. Oh right, its 2007, kitchen's out.

Our van is having trouble again. In the past year our Montana has managed to squeeze us for more then $6000 so when this last debacle involving wheel bearings and tie rod endings occured, I could have screamed but I decided to have a garage sale instead. 12 hours later. We woke up the next morning at 6am eager to make hundreds and by noon we had $5. I could have screamed but I decided to see the humor in the situation, there was none except for a guy that bought our mattress and box spring and asked me to help carry it to his house which was just down the road. Half a km later, no joke, we arrived at his house grunting and sweari I mean sweating. We got it all in 4 trips. The $50 we sold it for didn't stop my muscles from twitching. By 4pm we had managed to get $400 and change.

Well I should go, its Maddie and Daddy time and then Ethan and I (I'm his coach) have a soccer game tonight although I just heard thunder. . .

Peace out.

John

4 comments:

Davis Family said...

Nice cat drama!

Anonymous said...

Great! Another cat for Buster to chase in doggie heaven. (I am assuming there is a doggie heaven, of course, and that heaven for dogs consists of having limitless energy to run in open fields, a non-stop supply of steaks and other forms of meat - no dry kibble crap, and of course hundreds of de-clawed cats to chase and torture).

Ummmmm.......my condolences to the pig-tailed little girl.....

Steve

Brian said...

I have called you three times in the past week... nothing. I was the one who left the phony and funny credit card message. If you don't return my call, I am going to spill everything right here.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job Johnny.....we'll miss you guys!