Monday, February 19, 2007

Disney Fanatics

So I lost a few pictures, no biggie. Yeah, Angie didn't buy it either. Well if it makes you all feel better at least I discovered my stupidty 14% into the deletion and besides 235 pictures is still a lot pictures. Still not buying it eh? Whatever.

Anyways, I thought I'd give you a brief update. Try to sum up the best holiday ever. Don't worry, I'll stick to the highlights, things worth sharing.

We arrived at our hotel 12:30pm Saturday - SNORE - no listen it gets better - we arrived nice and early but get this - our room wasn't ready until 3pm. So there we were, stuck in a hotel lobby in the middle of nowhere, no transportation and very little wakefulness as we had got up at 330am to catch our plane. We literally laid moaning on the chairs in the lobby until we couldn't take it anymore and we decided to walk. . .yup, walk - as far as we could - in a desperate attempt to murder time. We killed it -that's for sure but still, that part sure sucked. In fact, our trip started off kind of yucky blah pfff. But eventually we were allowed into our room and after enjoying a good nap we awoke refreshed and ready to conqueror California. There wasn't another bad moment the rest of the trip, seriously. Except for the fact that the Oilers lost every game. Those Oilers, they make me so mad.

Disneyland was magical. Yes I'm a DUDE, but still, there's just something about that place that captures even the coolest of Dudes. The first day we arrived we found ourselves in Fantasyland going on all the classic rides - Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinnochio and I gotta tell you, at one point the Disney people must have turned on the mist machine because I was feeling it. Something about being at a place you've seen in the movies your entire life and now being there and seeing your own kids taking it in, wow. It was special. We also did Space Mountain that first day which we all loved.

The next day we moved on to more adult rides, ha, that sounds slimey, you know what I mean - Pirates of the Caribbean, Indian Jones, that kind of stuff. The rest of the week was spent at California Adventure where we all went on The Tower of Terror -crazy ride, Grizzly River run - Lexa's favorite, Soaring over California - which I loved and California Screamer a roller coaster that wowed us all, especially Ethan.

Half way through the week we changed it up and went to Universal Studios. It was great especially the Tour where we got to see actual movie sets. We saw where classics like Back to the Future, Psycho and Jaws were filmed. I was in my element but the kids kept looking at me as if to say "why are we here again?"

I never thought I was a touristy kind of guy but I came home with a Goofy shirt, Pirates of the Caribbean Hoody and a Mickey Mug. I even bought a friggin Disneyland Magnet. That place, its got like some sort of wierd power that reduces everyone to 8 yr old Disney fanatics. It got me anyways.

We arrived back 330am Sunday morning after a long delay at LAX because apparently the Calgary Airport was on fire. No jokes.

The plane ride home was a dream, everyone was so tired, so it was silent. Ahhh.

Apparently a picture is worth a thousand words so go check out our Frickr - as my kind wife calls it. We added a few dozen pictures.

It was by far the best holiday ever.

That being said, there's always something special about coming home. It just feels right.

Glad to be back.

Oh yeah, one more thing, Dave was in Disneyland with all his kids on Tuesday but we never hooked up. We had agreed to find each other but it never happened. Which was too bad. Cause Dave's cool.

John

P.S. I'm in Regina March 2-4 so perhaps I'll see some of you. I'm hoping. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome home, sounds like Mecca was good. The pictures were great.

Anonymous said...

sounds pretty sweet.
i always thought that disneyland would be a bummer, but now i'm sold. i'm totally going when i get old enough to appreciate it.

p.s. i'm glad to hear that your ministry in califo... i mean, calgary is going so well.

Tyler said...

good to have you back guys.

jerms said...

ill be in regina that weekend too. do you have time to catch a breakfast or lunch? let me know. we could even track down kris and blair. like that one time at simply d's. remember that?

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Don't feel bad about getting sucked in..er..I mean...loving the magical land of Disney. Seriously, I'm convinced there's a 6 year old in me just waiting to go back...and maybe even buy a goofy t-shirt!

Glad you guys had a great trip! Sad the Oilers make you mad...or sad...me too...