Monday, January 15, 2007

Born Again

18 years ago today I forgot my underwear and was forced to pant it alone. I still don't know how I could I have forgotten to bring a dry pair. I knew the the ones I had on were going to get wet. In fact, I had planned on it. Yet I forgot. My dad found it quite humorous. As he chuckled away I secretly began to die inside as I realized I would now have to head to bible class with only a millimetre of denim between ME and the outside world. Ah yes, did I mention I was at church at the time? Now remember, I was 12 so my self worth was about as thick as the same denim so trauma could have been me. But it wasn't. In fact, I quickly forgot about my issue and enjoyed the rest of the day. It ended up being one of the happiest days of my life.

How is that possible the casual reader might ask. Well cr, its possible because I, John Denim Close, had just been baptized by my father at the Weyburn Church of Christ. Of course I remember the date. January 15, 1989, It was the day I assured myself and everyone else that when the time came for me to die - I'd be decomposing on the Lord's side.

Since that time my faith has changed. A tad. For instance, I now have one. I'm guessing you know what I mean. I'm guessing you got baptized for the same reasons I did - default. You were born to Christian parents, grew up in a Christian home, went to a Christian church where it was taught you must get baptized to be saved and the thought of not being saved scared the pants right off you and so you did. You got saved. But you never really gave your life to God.

Why would you, though? Your after life was already secure. There was no doubt you'd pass the retina scan at the Pearly gates. And if worse came to worse, you knew the password.

Pearly Gate Attender: "Your retinas are not scanning properly, do you have any other form of identification?

Petrified You: "Uh Uh Uh, well, what do you mean?"

Pearly Gate Attender: " I mean, your retinas are bogus, so I'm going to need something else, like a password. Do you know the password."

Confident You: Of course. I am a Church of Christer, you know. Acts 2:38.

Pearly Gate Attender: "You have chosen. . .wisely."

And all heaven rejoiced because although the retina's were bogus, you knew the password.

Scuse my sarcasm, I'm not railing against baptism, just a form which I feel is more destructive then life changing. Life change. Isn't that what baptism is about? By confining salvation to a tub, one might actually believe that all it takes to enter the life of God is freezing water with a cup of scum on top. But, what may seem like a recipe for salvation turns out to be a formula for legalism. I think I finally understand our infatuation with formulas. They're clear, conscise, and our favorite - logical. My how we love logic.

Its logical to get baptized, we surmise, and so we do. But when's the last night it blew your hair back when your spouse did something for you out of logic. "Ah, thanks for taking the kids for the day your such a good husband and father." "No prob babes, although, I Am Your Husband, so its only logical that I'd take the kids." Pretty inspiring stuff.

My fear is that baptism has become the great legal transaction of the church and that's why our lives in God are lived legally rather then relationally. Legal living begets legalism and sadly, I, you, us - we've been known for both. Perhaps not all of us personally, but for sure, us, meaning the Churches of Christ.

These are the thoughts that dominated my morning, this being the anniversary of my baptism.

I lived legally for the first 15 years but for the past 3 I have tried with all my being to live my life in the hiddeness, mystery and beauty of God. And I finally feel new. Almost. . . reborn.

John

4 comments:

The Ashby's said...

Wow John, good stuff!

If you only knew how much I've been asking myself a lot of the same issues you bring up here.

One of the bonus' of moving to Waldheim is that there is no Church of Christ nearby. Like the Seinfeld episode says, "Not that there's anything wrong with them", but it sure gave me an eye opening to how other Christians live. I now attend a mennonite church, but believe me, when i first attended i had my eyes peeled for what they do wrong!

First of all, there's all those darn instruments! I laughed the first time i went, and i told Michelle the only reason you clowns use instruments is because you suck at singing! Then i found out i was wrong.

Then i got mad because these suckers don't have communion every week, i wrote the pastor and told him i was concerned. Then i finally had communion and realized there was a reason they wait. Our pastor told us this Sunday that we're having communion in 2 weeks at our church, and the lesson for the day talked about getting things right with our Brothers and Sisters in the church before we sit down at the Lord's table. I eventually decided to "table" my ideas on what's right/legalistically and what isn't for now and just try to enjoy a spirit led church/life instead.

This Summer Ireland went to her first Bible Camp. On the way home Michelle was telling me that it was at camp she first accepted Christ, i think it was at age 7. I was totally freaked out!! I said, "you were baptized at age 7!!!"

She said no, that she accepted Christ at 7, but was baptized at 17 or something like that. Again, i was just dumbfounded that these Mennonite Jokers could get it all wrong... until i realized that i still go to Church every Sunday with people that help/lead/guide me down the right path everyday.

So, maybe i need to ease down on the legalities a little...

Jordan said...

Here's a question: Do you think the non-baptized are going to Hell? i.e., Is it a salvation issue for you?

Anonymous said...

Question from the anonymous one.....if one were baptized fairly young, like you and I, is it possible that it was NOT the point of salvation? (Bible says believe, repent, then be baptized as a symbol of your salvation).

Thing is, speaking for myself, baptized at 15 (1987), I think I did this out of knowledge and pressure, but I don't know if I really "repented". (Meaning I still did childish, even sinful things without regret). Sure, I later became more committed, but should we not use the example of baptism as a symbol of committment?

Just curious....I guess I am really wondering if there is a case for getting dunked again. (And, in my Church of Christ bringing up, am almost concerned I need to be again)?!

Preach to me John, tell me what you think, really would like to know what your take is, knowing me as you do. (Or used to).

Thanks!

Steve

Tyler said...

thanks Johnny.