Friday, December 29, 2006

Just inhumane

So. . .it looks like we's gonna have ourselves a hangin.

The arch enemy of Western Civilization, Democracy and of course GW is about to get what's coming to him, possibly tonight but certainly before the weekend is out. For those of you who have been living in a cave for the past few years, excluding Osama, Saddam was not the nicest of guys. In the past 20+ years he ruled Iraq and especially the Turks with an iron fist dictating how people should live their lives. He stole their freedom and when he was at his worst, he took their lives. Some say thousands, the courts said hundreds. As a result, he must pay for his crimes against humanity. He must hang.

It makes sense. It seems just. He must be held accountable. I truly believe that. Yet, at the same time, there's a part of me that feels for Saddam. Don't get me wrong, if we were next door neighbors there would be no lending of lawn mowers or eggs going on, certainly no neighborly games of Risk. "Me want Iran, click, me want Iran now. Bang!" But still, just because he's not on my Christmas card list doesn't mean I'm pumped at the thought of his body hanging from the gallows before bedtime.

Justice is a funny thing. What's Just for one is inhumane for another. Saddam spent his life doing dispicable inhumane things so its Just, even logical that he suffer an inhumane death - after all a man reaps what he sows - but I guess what I wonder is - if Saddam is put to death in an inhumane way does that make those who carried it out inhumane themselves? Does it make us inhumane if we cheer them on?

Are we justified or are we Just inhumane?

I'm not sure either.

John

4 comments:

Jordan said...

I think it's wrong to kill people (except to protect your life or the lives of others), and I imagine most people would agree with me in most contexts. But sometimes our lust for revenge clouds this principle. Then the rationalizations begin: Well, Saddam was really, really bad! He murdered an entire village! Justice must be served! etc., etc.

The fact is, Saddam is no longer a threat to anyone, so there's no moral justifcation for murdering him (and that's what it is: murder). I would say this applies to capital punishment in general. It's flagrant bloodlust, imo.

The Ashby's said...

Definitely haven't decided if i think that type of justice is right, but i disagree with you that Saddam is no longer a threat.

Part of Iraq rebuilding might have something to do with their former leader's final chapter being written. The fear of repercussion's is now over from Saddam. It remains to be seen how big of a martyr Saddam becomes, but i disagree that you thought "he" was no longer a threat.

Jordan said...

What I meant was, Saddam is (was) no longer in a position to have a direct hand in causing harm to others; in that sense, he's no longer a threat. Just so that you know where I'm coming from, my position is that killing is only justified when it is done prevent someone from killing others (who are not themselves threatening to commit murder).

As for the former leader's final chapter being written, we'll have to wait and see. I doubt the Sunnis and Baathists are just going to roll over now that Saddam is dead, any more than Al-Qaeda rolled over when we took out al-Zarqawi. I don't see why we should expect any of this to have a positive effect on the rebuilding of Iraq.

Jordan said...

Case in point.

They've only fanned the flames of sectarian violence.