Friday, December 15, 2006

Fakey Claus

Maddie came up to me yesterday and said Mom, I don't think I believe in Santa. I wasn't too surprised- she's been dropping hints for a while, but still... no more watching for Rudolph's bright nose, listening for the their paws on the roof, thinking your toys really were made in the North Pole by tiny elves. I almost wish I could preserve her belief in Santa for just a little while longer. Giver her a Case for Santa book. Make her watch science DVDs on Kris Kringle evidences. But I guesse she's growing up and this is one of the many things we'll go through that feels bitter sweet. The up side, though, is- now we get the credit for all the stocking goodies. We'll get all the please and thank you letters. And we won't have to feel wierd about eating Santa's cookies and milk on Christmas Eve. See, I can spin anything. Especially if I take the what's in it for me approach.

I'm still kind of sad, though.

Ang

2 comments:

dave said...

it's a phase all kids go through--especially the children of people in ministry.

there's always this period where a child has to move on from her parents' faith to her own faith, and sometimes that time comes by way of some real doubts and skepticism and wandering.

its healthy though, don't worry.

she'll come back around.

Aisling said...

Just one more sign that she's growing up, eh.

p.s: Congrats to Maddie on the job well done in the Spelling Bee. Always knew she was a smart cookie.