Friday, October 13, 2006

blogma

OK, is it just me or is there some kind of top secret, underground, thug- guarded, triple bolted, alley- access basement, where I need a password like the fish flies at midnight in order to find a decent children's Bible? The fact that so many of them picture Jesus as a rosy cheeked, cartoon faced white guy is silly enough, but how do you find one without the doctrinal extras? I've looked everywhere for a Bible that doesn't contain sidebar explanations like and that's why reading Harry Potter is evil or the Trinity is like an egg..... or let's talk about hell and why you should invite your friends to church right now. Seriously- GO! Or, you know, the ones that think God and Christianity are best understood in war terms (armies, punish, soldiers, warrior, enemies, commander- these are from the sidenotes in Maddie's current Bible. Where's shock and awe?). I just want a Bible. The B-I-B-L-E, that's the book for me. How about this, Zondervan. You give me a straight up Bible for my kids. Make it pretty. Throw in some interesting historical tid bits and life application, if you wish. But leave the dogma part to me, the parent.

Just a thought.

I would love recommendations if anyone has any.

Ang

4 comments:

Kamara said...

When you wrote "And that's why Harry Potter is evil" all i could hear was J. Walter Weatherman saying "And that's why you always leave a note...".

I hope you've seen that episode, otherwise this comment is meaningless.

Anonymous said...

I am searching for a good children's bible as well... still searching, searching - let me know if you find one, cause I have had similar frustrations.

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

We finally broke down and went to the Christian bookstore today (not a big fan) and found the Global Bible for Children. I'm quite happy with it- lot's of cool stuff about the world, without the spoon fed doctrinal pat answers (is that rude? oops). It's a little old for Elijah (I think it's for 6-10), so this is probably no help whatsoever! Good luck in your search!
Ang

Carolyn said...

Ok - this suggestion is for little ones - like toddlerish age but my boys love it (3.5 yrs and almost 2). It is called The Rhyme Bible Storybook by ZonderKIDZ (Zondervan) - tells stories from both OT and NT in a catchy way.

I check your blog from time to time - John, you still crack me up! What a guy you are. Angie, I never got to know you that well but you are pretty funny yourself (I didn't mean for that to sound like a line from a yearbook).

Have a good one,
Carolyn