Friday, September 08, 2006

grid blog #2 what inspires me

What inspires me? I've got a really bad cold that I'm guessing is something more akin to bronchitis, so right now what inspires me is a comfy couch, a box of kleenex (with lotion) and neocitron. I'll try to dig a little deeper, though. I always thought I would grow up and live in a cabin, grow organic veggies and sell pottery at the market (which is basically the same as living in Calgary, minus the traffic- hee hee), but that's what inspires me. Nature, creativity, solitude. Books are a must, of course. Not just philosophical/theological types, but more often for me, a really good novel inspires and changes. It's a glimpse into a way of life that's not your own, and what is inspiration if not a broader understanding? A Fine Balance, A History of Love, and others I can't think of with my currently foggy brain. Biographies- The Spiral Staircase (Karen Armstrong). Help me Remember, Help me Forget (former slave Robert Sadler). Movies can do the same thing. Crash, Maria Full of Grace, It's a Wonderful Life (every Christmas Eve!). Some great documentaries. Cry of the Snow Lion (about Tibet), Born into Brothels. The best inspiration comes from the lives of those around us. Wow, that sounded corny and I don't even mind! I don't know how many times John and I have talked about someone that is such an inspiration to us without them even knowing it, whether it's their strength, generous spirit, compassion, ethical code, etc. So, I guesse I find many things have the power to inspire.
Time for echinacea tea and a blanket.
Ang (I am fully aware that this is an excetionally dull post, I'll go for more gusto next time!)

1 comment:

chelsey said...

i think that you and i would get along just fine :) living in a cabin growing organic veggies and selling pottery sounds great to me. you and john can have one cabin and pete and i will move in just a bit down the lake. of course these are lakeside cabins. we'll have each other over and watch great movies and talk about great books and eat great salads from our bowls that we made ourselves (of course, all the while we'd be spreading jesus' love around to our neighbours).