Saturday, July 01, 2006

Superman- the other side

I have a different take on Superman, although perhaps not quite as strong as my brother (hi Jord!), I do agree that there is a certain degree of commercializing Jesus going on that I find offensive. Are we seriously comparing Superman to Jesus? Do we really need this analogy to understand his sacrifice and our need of it (oh- now I get it! Jesus was tortured and crucified just like Superman was beat up by Lex Luther and stabbed with cryptonite! It's all clear now!). OR is Hollywood cluing in to a major money maker, realizing that by throwing in a few symbolic cliches, every church in North America will start promoting the movie for them by: showing clips as sermon illustrations, writing books (ie: "10 Ways that Superman is Like Jesus") or there's always the Wednesday night series ( It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a Bible study!) I do understand that many people find religous symbolism in movies very powerful and don't take it to the above extremes (John is one of them- kisses). I just think that sometimes there's a bandwagon mentality within our faith that has the potential for the ridiculous. Maybe. Actually I'm being offensive, so nevermind.
In other news, the movie is really fun. With or without the analogies.
Ang

3 comments:

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

I would agree with Angie to a point, that's my duty as a husband, but the fact is: Why not use religious symbolism in movies? I mean, if we truly believe that Jesus is the greatest story ever told shouldn't it get its due regard? Sure its a stretch, even a bit riduculous that our super hero movies are comparing themselves to Jesus but as I said in my previous post - the fact is: the world does need a savior and if Christians were representing like they should Hollywood wouldn't have to continue to do our job. Nice post hon, you got skillz.

Jdog

Jordan said...

You guys both make interesting points. But Ang's points are the correct ones, since they accord with my opinions (which are, without exception, correct). Ok? ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm enjoying you guys's blog. Keep it up! You can do it! Never give up! You must go on, no matter what, just like Superchrist! I believe in you!

xblairx said...

hey guys,
i have yet to see this movie, but i see both points. like john, i do love seeing spiritual themes in movies. it gets me excited, and i think it can spark conversation. on the other hand, i do work in christian retail, so i also see how things such as this can be used to exploit the crap out of God. not his literal crap, just metaphorical. was that disrespectful? maybe i should quit talking now...

ps-john, i started my blog up again. check out my sweet rhymes.