Monday, June 19, 2006

Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the Oilers lost.

It sucks. It really sucks. I hate the fact that they lost. In fact, it almost feels like I lost. I could barely eat the entire game. I felt like I was out there. When the puck dropped so did my heart and when Willians scored the empty goal, Angie had to remove the knife from my heart. Oh, that hurt. But alas, it's just a game, I know, much much worse things in life. But at the time, boy does it hurt.

As we drove home from the game, our Oilers car flag flapping in the wind, Ethan piped up from the back and said "Dad, you might as well just open your window and let the flag go, it doesn't matter anymore." I thought about what he said and wondered if this was a "pull the car over and spank"offense but reason quickly took over and instead I responded by saying something to the effect of "don't you think the Oilers need us now more then ever before?" Which is a funny thing to say because I'm quite confident Chris Pronger, Shawn Horcoff and all the Oilers in fact haven't any idea who John Close is yet here I am probably one of thier biggest fans and to me they feel like family. Its also a funny thing to say because Ethan is 5 and "what the heck is dad talking about?!?!?!?" Its wierd how invested we get into people we have never met. People who will never even know our name. One of the great mysteries of life.

Anyways, as heart broken as the Oilers and all thier fans are, September is only a few months away. And besides, I'm sure my wife will be thrilled to have 3 evenings a week back.

John