Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Mom's up there

First off, Phelps is ridiculous. Nobody's that good.

Second, Canada is ridiculous. Nobody's that bad.

Third, my littlest Lex lost her first tooth the other night. We are a plastic only house and it was after 9pm when it happened so poor Lex got snubbed in the financial department. Oh and the Tooth Fairy doesn't work after 9pm either. (that was my excuse). Before you rain down the judgement, she was amply rewarded the following evening with a ziploc full of copper. Little Lex. Aww.

And now, the star of the blogning. . .My Mother. (Blogning, like evening but more fun)

My mom turned 60 today. That's a lot of life where I come from. Depending on how you look at things, she'll croak anyday or she's got a third left. For the record, I'm hoping for the latter, frogs are slimy. My mom is quite the specimen though. While most humans that age would be getting jacked about back menu specials she's just still perusing through lifes appetizers. In the past 5 years she has moved to another country, taken a high profile job at a university in the youth ministry department of all departments, completed a Masters degree and is currently halfway through a Doctorate program on her way to becoming a Shrinkette. Counselor. Plus she's competing in the Olympics. Fencing. You know what they say "the best fencer is a motha fencer." FYI -They are weird.

I've known my mom for 32 of her years and she's always been just what a son needs. If I was lacking confidence, she'd say I was the greatest, if it was 5am and I was hungry for some two eggs, she'd make em. If I was sick and had just puked all over her, my dad, their bed, she'd say "not to worry, I'll clean it up, you go back to bed." I always would you know. I always would. She was even there at my games to cheer loud enough so the other team could laugh and poke fun at me, the mother boy. It felt good. But her greatest gift was her listening ear. I was an immature messed up kid in my 12-31's so you can imagine the issues she was forced to help me deal with. No wonder she became a Shrinkette, decades of experience.

In the world of best mom's, mine's up there. Good and high.

Happy Birthday Mom. Don't burn down your house when you light the cake tonight.

Son

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwww, what a nice tribute to your mamma! she sounds like how every mother should be :)