Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father Stuff

Oprah says that "biology is the least of what makes someone a mother. " I would guess the same is true for fathers. Unless he's shooting blanks, any dude can impregnate. But it takes a special kind of man to be a father. Fortunately, I grew up with that kind of man and for the past 10 years I have tried to be that same man. Trouble is, trying to be a good father is like trying to be in good shape. You know its crucial but all you feel like doing is sitting on your butt and pounding back the Old Dutch .

I have a ton of respect for dudes who can Father. I've already mentioned my own but I also think of people like Wayne McKeage. Wayne's barely 60 but you'd think the guy was my contemporary. He lives his life like he enjoys it and helps everyone to do the same. I think that's why his kids enjoy him so much. They see who he IS.

I also think of Colin Hattrick. Colin is my contemporary but he fathers with the same dedication and love of a 60 yr old. I often joke that Natalia is a magician because at 2, she's managed to wrap her grown daddy around her pinky. Its true, but every time I see the way he looks at her I'm reminded to get up and father for real this time. Angie says I'm a good father blah blah blah, I just rarely agree. Too often I'm too distracted, busy or gone to be at the level of a Wayne, Colin or a John S Close. I realize this. I recognize this. Which is why I resigned.

Yeah yeah, God called me to ministry - but the reality is there are 38 others who could replace me tomorrow and the teens would be just fine. And they will be. But no man could EVER replace me as Maddison, Ethan and Alexa's father. I'm all they got. They're all I got. Which is elementary and profound at the same time. So easy a concept, so difficult a follow through.

Beginning this September, I am taking 10 months off to travel with my family through England, France, Spain, Mallorca, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Egypt, India, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, China and beyond. The plan is to work together, learn together, be stretched and challenged and formed together. Most of all, the plan is TO BE TOGETHER. It's always been the plan.

Only now, I'm following through.

John

4 comments:

Nic said...

your dad was at my church this week.
i didn't say hi.
he doesn't know who i am.
but he looked like a great dad.

Brian said...

Bull. He was at my church this week, and I did say hi. Could he be at both? Hey. Maybe he is a really good dad! Dunn dunn dunn...

Kamara said...

John and Angie...

I'm quitting life come December/January and travelling for a few months (law schools didn't come through for me this year). Are you guys booking your travels through an agency? Or just winging it?

kamaraquinwillett@yahoo.ca is my email... I'd love to hear about your plans for adventure.

And your dad is great, it's true.

Jonathan Storment said...

That's really convicting John. Leslie and I are about to have our first baby, I pray I'm a good dad.
I am proud of you for leaving everything for your family.