Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Playoff talk and a smattering of other things

I just got off the phone with Kirk Roberts. Kirk was "hoping to talk to Kelly but since he's not here, ok, I guess I'll talk to you John." Kirk is as passionate about his Canucks as I am about my Oilers. We consoled each other for awhile and then that was that. Kirk is my cousin and apparently reads my blog so I figured if people like Kirk take the time to read my blog, perhaps I should update it.

Although I'm pained about my Oilers I have moved on enough to enter into some hockey pools. Today at lunch I picked my 10 and 1 goalie. We alternate picks based on the number we drew so each person picks every 10 players or so. Yep, the good players get scooped up real quick. That being said, I'm the man and was able to still snipe some good ones. Here they are:

San Jose (my pick to win it all)

- Thornton (my first pick)
- Cheechoo
- Michalek
- Roenick

Anaheim

- Selanne
- Pronger
- Niedermeyer

Washington (my dark horse)

- Backstrom
- Semin

Rangers

- Jagr
- Lundqvist (my goalie pick. anyone with 4 consonants in a row deserves a shot)

Sorry Habs fans but they all got scooped up before I even had a chance. Oh, and sorry Flames fans, the day I pick you for anything will be the same day I start lactating.

Speaking of lactating, anyone see the NCAA final last night? Memphis shot like 2% on free throws and in the end it cost them the game. They were leading by 9 with 2 minutes left but Chalmers hit a CLUTCH 3 at the buzzer tying it up and sending it to overtime. The rest is history. 2% is an exaggertation but it went well with my lactating joke.

Besides sports, we finally finished our kitchen cupboards. We ordered them last year, painted them 6 months ago, then took a break before finally putting them up Saturday. I love home renovations, which is why I took so long to put them up. Some things are meant to be savored.

A couple weeks ago we took the family to "the big giant mall" in Edmonton. As I arrived I was greeted by the classic "City of Champions sign." Sometimes irony hurts.
What didn't hurt was seeing my 7 yr old son slide down the 100 ft screamer. Braver boy then I was at that age. When I was 7, I was screaming and banging "help, help, oh daddy please help." I had locked myself in the Grandma Lee's Restaurant bathroom and couldn't turn the door because my hands were too slippery from the soap. (Note: I couldn't rinse my hands off either because I couldn't turn the taps because of the said soap. Later it occured to me that I could have rinsed them off in the toilet.) We stayed in the Igloo room complete with our own jacuzzi and adult movie options, a must for every Family room. I remember the Mall feeling magical when I was younger, now the magic is seeing it in my kids.

As far as what I'm reading, watching and listening to. . . I'm no J bandura but here it goes:

Reading: The End of Faith; Guns, Germs and Steel, Pillars of the Earth,

Watching: The Gilmore Girls Season 6 (I really want to be embarassed here but I can't, that snappy dialogue had me at hello); There Will be Blood, Sam Harris on Youtube

Listening to: Juno Soundtrack, My wife, The Fan 960am

Speaking of my wife, she's pretty much my best friend. Greatest girl ever. To show my love, I tried to Michael Cera serenade her Juno style but apparently it was awkward, which is sooooo un Michael Cera.

I preach April 20 on a topic I have a lot to say about but am hamstrung by the 20 minute rule. I'm speaking on the role the church must have in the Kingdom of God. And no, they're not the same thing.

I have an Elders meeting in about 23 minutes. Apparently they discovered the true identity of the plants growing in my office.

John

1 comment:

Tyler said...

you should save that sermon for the 27th when I will be in town.

i agree about san jose. even if they don't win it all, at least they will beat out the crappy flames.

see you in 2 weeks bro.