Monday, March 10, 2008

Tales from Sowth CarolIna

Hey Loyal Readers. Sorry for the non posting, I've been in Sowth CarolIna since Friday. For years I've been telling my brother to bring me down to speak so I could hang out with my family. That sly fox finally did. It's been a great time. I spoke 4 times this weekend including the sermon yesterday. My dream came true when I read this passage of scripture at a proper Southern Church:

"How beautiful you are and how pleasing, O love, with your delights! Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit. I said, "I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit." May your breasts be like the clusters of the vine, the fragrance of your breath like apples, and your mouth like the best wine."

The initial silence in the room was the greatest high of my life but finally somehow couldn't stand it and burst which caused everyone else to burst too. It was one of the rare moments where you know God is in the room. Ha Ha. One lady came up to me after and in all seriousness informed me I should perform at the local comedy club "tomorrow night." I'll think about it, I said. I decided no.

I've really enjoyed my stay. Last night I played football with my nephew Luke and all his ex college players. When I went to get out of bed this morning my right leg said to my left "so I guess we're doing this", to which my left replied "yeah dude, master needs breakfast." Such obedient legs although they're still pretty sore at me.

One of the highlights of the weekend was serving 300 hotdogs to the homeless. When we first showed up there were only 2 homeless people. I was disapointed -"what kind of city only has 2 homeless people. Pfff." Thankfully the word got out and dozens more arrived. I told the group this weekend that I feel closest to God when I'm talking to the homeless. This was no exception. One guy was a dancing machine. We had the windows open and the music going and my man was gone. I watched in awe as he moved and grooved. Later he told me he had taken 18 years of modern dance in NewYork and had even danced backup for MJ, Janet and Soul Train. I believed him, I've never seen such rhythm. After all the hotdogs were eaten and no more dancing was to had, my brother and I drove 6 of them to the shelter, filling up his little truck. When we arrived one of the girls asked me for a hug. It was cool.

I'm only here till Wednesday so I imagine the next few days will be spent smoking, drinking and hugging strange woman. My dad loves being in charge. Speaking of my immoral dad, the time we've spent together has been amazing. One of the truly special things about getting older is how your father also becomes your friend. Speaking of friend, my brother is the best and I can't think of another guy I'd rather spend all my time with then him. Very few people can go toe to toe with me and my. . .oddness like he can. We usually spend 87% of our time together laughing at things innapropriate and pulling our parents chains. Nothings better. My poor mom has had to miss out on the whole thing. While I've been here, she's been in Regina, of all places, for a board meeting. When she found out the date I was coming she experienced a pain on the level of birth. She flies in tonight at Midnight so I'll get a whole 36 hrs with her before I fly back.

We're heading out for lunch, as soon as dad gets out of bed. The last two nights he's stayed up past 3am watching movies. What a guy.

John

P.S. The Oilers just won't let me grieve in peace. They keep keeping hope alive by going 6-1 in their last 7. Part of me wishes they would just throw in the towel because for them to keep this up and then finally lose and miss the playoffs by 2 pts, I just don't think I could handle it.

3 comments:

xblairx said...

hey pal,
good to hear from you again!

when i was a kid up until grade 9, your dad terrified me! i avoided him at all costs. partly because i was high, and partly because i knew he would demand excellence out of me, which i didn't feel like i had. after grade 9, i saw the importance of what he was trying to do and he became the best teacher i ever had. never in my life have i met someone who could help me learn the way he did. he is an amazing teacher. i still say western fell apart after him and aunty karen left. that's my opinion anyway. anyway, enough of the love fest. are you ever coming to regina, john? if not, i just might have to come there, as much as it will pain me to do so. i read what you said on nic's blog, that you'll cheer for the canadiens if the oilers don't make it. go canadiens!!!!!!

Nicola said...

Missed your teaching last week... I was actually there on time! But Reece did a good job. I've enjoyed your class, John... you've got some real talent with teaching. I hope you get to do more of it...

Brian said...

Don't worry about the posting problems, I've got 'em too.

This was a great post to read. Totally what I needed. I love this world.