Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Skydive

So here's how it went down. I had just finished preaching and was talking to people in the lobby. My dad came up and said - do you know who you're talking to - to which I replied, uh, I think he said his name is Kyle - to which my dad said - yes, but do you know what he does for a living - I didn't. He's a professional skydiver. Seriously? Seriously. I've always wanted to do that. How bout this afternoon. My face went white. Uh, maybe. Kyle began to laugh, that's usually what happens, people are all brave until they are actually given the choice. Damn. Let me just go talk to my nephew. Luke - wanna go skydiving? Yeh man. Sweet, we're going in 3 hours. Cool. Kyle, we're in. Seriously? Oh, I'm serious Kyle, no cowards here. Allright, let me make a few calls. 6 minutes pass. Ok, we're set for 330pm. Go have lunch and then we'll meet at the Burger King just before Chester. Allright man. Oh and John. Yeah? It's on me, my gift to you.

Fast forward 3 hours. Luke and I arrive at the site. Hey boys, are you ready, it's a beautiful day to jump out of a plane. We both nod, all cool like. Ok, well follow me, we have some forms for you to fill out and you need to watch a video. The video begins. "The activity you are about to engage in is highly dangerous. You could die." You hear that Luke, we could die. We start to laugh. Better then soiling ourselves. We sign the forms. No I won't sue you if I die. I figure that's a safe enough thing to promise.

Lets get you boys suited up. We get suited. The uniform fits snug, like an unwelcome hug from a creepy 46 yr old. Looking good boys, follow me. We do. Next thing we know we're in a hanger full of other crazy people just like us. We get our gear on. Literally, not in the cool sense of the meaning. A guy films me, peppering me with questions. I try to be natural. Oxymoron. The gear fits even tighter then the uniform. I remember not minding under the circumstances. Tight usually means secure which usually means safe - which means I live. The plane pulls up. Time to load up. We walk to the plane in slow motion.

It'll be about a 20 minute flight so sit back and relax. haha. The twin otter is full, my legs have become chairs for the people on the left and right of me. We take off. I feel at peace, very excited. As we fly I try to talk to Kyle but we can't really hear each other. The camera comes out again, I act natural. Smile and what not. It's almost time now. I sit on Kyle's knee so we can hook up. Rephrase that. I sit on Kyle's knee so he can hook up to me. I don't mind since he's the one with the parachute. Plus, he's paying for it so its the least I can do. The people on my left are jumping out of the plane. It's almost time.

I walk up to the opening with a grown man strapped to my back. I squat. He squats. He says ready set, like we rehearsed. I never hear Go. I look and leap before I can freak. I expect my body to react, punish me for not consulting with it first. No punishment comes. I'm Tom Pettying at 120mph. It's the most intense, euphoric, freeing feeling I've ever felt. The camera comes out again. I try and look at it but its difficult while plummeting towards the earth at 120 mph. The wind is forcing my mouth open so I just yell and stick out my tongue. It feels like I'm flying. Truly. It's not like when you go down a mammoth roller coaster or even the free fall at Kenosee. It feels more like floating. I remember thinking, I hope this never ends. Then I feel a tug.

The parachute says hello. We float for 5 minutes until we touch down. As we float Kyle and I chat about this and that including the mountains to the west, and city to the north. We even cover the proper way to land. Whoa, the ground's getting closer I say. Kyle laughs. We're still 1000ft away. I'm dumb. We keep floating. Now we're close. I lift up my legs so I don't snap them in two as Kyle says and we touch down skidding on my heels and buttocks. I feel thankful for all the padding back there, but most of all I'm glad I'm alive. I feel 10x the man from the hour before.

6 days have passed. Not an hour goes by without thoughts skyward. As amazing as it was the best part was waiting 3 days to tell my wife what I did. I get home and say "here's some highlights from the weekend." She thinks its me speaking so she tunes out. Wait, what, what are you doing? haha. I'm the man.

John

4 comments:

jerms said...

do we get to see the video?

Nicole Whaley said...

Very cool....very brave...there is no way i could make myself do that.
-nicole

Nic said...

i'd do it. naked.

i might be coming to your city the last weekend of March. will you be there? will we go for hangouts?
sure.
let me know.

Nic said...

yeah dude. this weekend. i'm all yours. well, maybe we shouldn't take it that far. howabout I say that I'll see you.

anyway, i dont know where i'm staying, and I dont have any plans yet, but we'll hang out. it was meant to be. we can party on Saturday, then you can go to deadmonton on sunday.

right on.