Sunday, November 25, 2007

Grey Dad Cup

My dad celebrated his 71st birthday on Thursday. The exciting thing is he's still able to walk, talk, and use a toilet. Ha Ha. Angie says "I'm bad" for saying that, while laughing of course. I'm pretty sure my dad is laughing too - as long as he can still read or remember where he left his computer. Ha Ha.

My friend Bob Barnard lost his father on Friday. He was vacationing with friends when he suffered a massive heart attack. He was 67. This morning at church Bob walked up to the front unannounced and shared for 10 minutes what his father meant to him. How he was proud of him. How he was a good man. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. And I couldn't help but think of my dad.

Trey Moreau's father sustained a serious eye injury on Tuesday. He was changing a tire when the rod slipped sticking him in the eye. He suffered damage to his cornea and lens. At first the doctors wondered out loud if they could save the eye. Thankfully they were and he is currently recovering at Rockyview, here in Calgary.

Life is fragile. And can turn on a dime. We always think we have lots of time so we sit on our feelings, steer clear of the phone and plan to get together next week as this week is bad.

Today my Bombers play in the Grey Cup. I forget the other team. Growing up, most Sundays involved me scarfing down my mom's homemade Roast Beef then bounding down the stairs to catch the rest of the game. Note: My mom would always end up doing the dishes by herself. I don't think I ever thanked her for that. Thanks mom! Without your dish pan hands I wouldn't have the fond memories I do today. I actually discovered many years later that my dad wasn't the sports enthusiast he always let on. He mainly enjoyed it because it involved time with me.

The Pre-game is yapping in the background and while I'm excited to see Dimwiddie defy the odds effectively leaving Bandura out $50, without my dad - it'll feel empty. I'm not always gonna have my dad, the day will come when I will share Bob's heart ache. But not today. So I will love him today knowing he's watching online and cheering too.

Love ya pops. Go Bombers.

John

3 comments:

Nic said...

ohhh.
dang.
dickwiddie couldn't pull it off.
ahhh.
mmm.

Anonymous said...

the dolly llama is no match to our Christian God we have in Saskatchewan. even his blessing couldn't help the bombers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Son,

I appreciate your not telling them "where" I go to the toilet.

Love,
Dad