Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Book are neat

My favorite Fiction Books of the year were The Kite Runner and A Complicated Kindness. The Kite Runner was my chosen summer read and for a week I sat in the backyard blubbering away. I'm sure my neighbors thought something terrible had happened to me. One of the marks of a good book is you find yourself mulling over it weeks and months later. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I really want you all to read it but I will say this: at its core, its a story of a friendship between two boys living in Afghanistan. One boy is nobility and the other is not. You can imagine the challenges. There were parts of the book written so well I had to close it and go for a walk. Anyways, if your going to read it, do it before Novemember, that's when the movie comes out.

My other favorite was A Complicated Kindness. My darling wife recommended it to me saying it was incredibly witty, just like you John. Fine, she didn't say just like you John but she could have, which is my point. Now, I'm going to be honest here so don't shoot the messenger but. . my first reaction was "how funny can a book written by a woman be?" I know, I cringed typing that. Angie knew what I was thinking, I have 10 years of marriage to thank for that, because she said " if you're hesitant because its written by a woman, just give it a chance." Looking back, she could have been much meaner. Much meaner. And she would have been totally justified. Anyways, I cracked it open and am so glad I did because rarely have I read a book so witty yet so meaningful and true. It was highly entertaining and yes, moving, and I'll definitely read it again. The WOMAN that wrote it is a Canadian Mennonite living in Winnipeg.

As far as Non Fiction goes, I've read too many to pick just one, but my top 3 would be Blink, Three Cups of Tea, just finishing, and 28, even though I'm only 5 chapters in.

Books I plan to begin shortly are; Bible: A Biography, The World is Flat, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and Pillars of the Earth, my guilty pleasure.

I like books. Books are neat.

John

6 comments:

Buffy Close said...

Wow - so can I guess that once my kids are older I'll have time to read again? Lately all I have read is blogs and facebook - quick and easy!

Brian said...

I have A Complicated Kindness in my classroom library. Do you think 8th graders would be into it? Is there any nasty stuff in it?

Anonymous said...

How could you NOT include the newly released "Memoirs" by rian Mulroney, the greatedst PM of all time???

Guess Who

Aisling said...

'Read a book, cause books are moo-velous...' so says Wilbur on 'Kids CBC'.

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

I'm with you. I love books. I love reading good books and sharing in good conversation with others that have read them. Yes, a guilty pleasure. Kite Runner is on my must read list. I think when I venture to the states next month, I'll take advantage of our Canadian dollar and do some book buying...

Davis Family said...

I hated HATED Pillars of the Earth. I was doing a middle english literature course when I read it and well I just dind't share the author's view of the time period. But hey thats me!