Thursday, July 12, 2007

Stabbings

Last night, 3 men and 2 woman were stabbed in Calgary. While it looks like 4 of them will recover, one of the women died. Apparently it was the work of a gang of 5 armed men. The stabbings occured between 4-5am while my wife delivered the same paper that carried the story. As I've thought about this today I've felt everything from fear for my wife's safety and intense anger towards the five cowards. Anyways, I wrote out my feelings and sent them to the Calgary Herald. Although I feel a bit better, the woman's family needs our prayers. Here's the letter I sent to the editor.

Like you, I was horrified by the senseless stabbings of Wednesday night. While most of us slept or battled Stampede hangovers, five armed men sped across our city stabbing our neighbors. Police will now spend the next several days trying to discover the identity of these cowards.

I always thought gangs existed to intimidate other gangs, at the very least, other MEN like them bent on a life of crime. After Wednesday night it appears that gangs are now intent on flexing their muscle against poor defenseless women at 4am, when the rest of us are unable to help. Gang violence is always tragic but when it involves five men killing one woman, the tragic becomes psychotic.

Gang life is a dead end. We've all read the posters. Apparently it is also the way of the coward.

No comments: