Friday, January 26, 2007

Why I Subscribe

Its Friday and I just completed my morning ritual of reading the paper only to discover yet again that the stories are the same as yesterday and the day before that and yep you guessed it, the day before that. Sure the faces and names have changed but the stories - they're the same.
I used to hate it when people said that because "they were morons" plus they never cared about the planet obviously - but after successfully subscribing to the Calgary Herald for the past 2 years I can honestly say - its all heartbreakingly the same. Selfishness, Pride, Bagdahd Bombed again, Hospital wait times, Kidnappings, Kids waking up, Stupid jokes, A man so vile that he not only murdered 49 woman but he ground them up and fed them to his pigs then sold those pigs to the general public so we could "participate" in his sick ness too. Ok, maybe that story's unique. Plus I live in Calgary so every freaking morning I'm greeted with the "5 reasons why The Flames are going to contend this year." I think that story has been printed for 18 years straight. That being said, I'm gonna keep reading. I just feel its my responsibility, as a human. As a Christian. As a guy who is supposed to make the world a better place. So I read. Full of Hope. Yet disturbed.

Speaking of disturbing hope, I'm leaving within the hour for the annual Breakforth Conference in Edmonton. The best part of the Conference is the fact that it takes place in Oiler land. Although, the flag bearing singers, fundamentalist preachers and class sessions on how to maximize your sanctuary lighting definitely come in at a close second. The Christian bands aren't bad although why do the 40 year old "rock stars" in the band insist on dressing like their 18 and singing like Nstink?

I'm going because, as with reading the paper, I think its important. Plus, this usually functions as my annual retreat with my youth leaders so its good for that. Great for that. In fact, if it wasn't for that I'd probably just stay home. That being said, I am excited for this year because Tony Campolo is there and is teaching on things that matter and are significant to the shaping of God's Kingdom. So even though Breakforth will most likely be another year of me willing myself not to run down the aisle, leap up on the stage and throttle another Christian celebrity trying to force us into HIS holy moment, I'm sure there will still be pockets of hope and goodness, enough to make me glad that another weekend away from the wife and kids wasn't spent in vain. After all, anytime 15000 Christians gather together under one roof to lift up the name of Jesus, no matter what goes on inside, its still pretty special.

And I guess that's why I still subscribe.

John

4 comments:

dave said...

fits in with my thoughts today... a generous orthodoxy. why it's good to be welcoming to people who love Jesus even if most of the manifestations of their love drive me crazy and even make me want to protest.

thanks.

Anonymous said...

Have fun....been there done that. I remember talking about unfortunate "results" from certain tests A and I were taking....remember. Wow, all in all, God did eventually hit a triple in that prayer request, didn't he?!

In regards to the Herald, we subscribe to the Sunday Sun....mostly for the ads and sports. In regards to the Flames, guess the truth hurts, don't it?!

Steve

xblairx said...

did you see kris olson at tony campolo?

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

What? Kris was there? I didn't see him. Tony was the usual Tony though, pretty inspiring stuff.

John