Saturday, December 09, 2006

just a couple things...

Have I recommended Goodbye Lenin yet? If not, stupid... stupid (this is me pulling out my hair). If I did, then sorry, but I have to do it again. Very good movie. And yes, my English teacher said don't ever use the word good, but I don't want to build it up too much by using fantastic or superb.

I'm also very ashamed to say that I've found a computer game and I'm totally hooked. I've always taken a certain pride in the fact that I prefered reading and other useful things to getting all dungeons and dragons with my time. That was until I found Westward. Let me just say, I can build one thriving town of the old west. Don't even try to stop me. Maddie was telling on me today, which I didn't read about in any parenting book by the way, and John had to give me the old Angie, were you on the computer all day...? look. Which I wasn't, but I could do it if I had one of those tiny fridges and a Bodum at my side. And no kids. They always throw a wrench into my sit around in my pajamas all day plans.

On another note, I'm reading a book that talks about faith and how it has nothing to do with our system of belief, but rather yielding to God. Letting go and riding life's wave. Yet we often say of someone who has unwavering spiritual conviction that they have a very strong faith. This is interesting to me, because I always felt a little leary of unwavering conviction. Whether it's with religion, politics, favourite chip flavour. Whatever. Not only is it too neat and tidy, but it reflects either someone else's convictions, or your own when you were intelectually and spiritually younger. Being steadfast and unyielding in your own spiritual beliefs robs you of a sense of ownership in your journey, but we applaud it so much in our churches. I think alot about the future of our church and what it holds for my kids. If it will evolve into a place that is open and tolerant, or if it will always pride itself on it's "strong faith".

I heard someone say recently that church was a safe place to question, doubt, seek, but I don't see it. Not yet. I really do believe we'll get there, though. Maybe our kids will go to church where true faith and community are the main events and your doctrinal beliefs are just an interesting sidenote. Is that idealistic? Chicken soupy? Cause I hate Chicken Soupy....

Ang

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Wow, I've put that 3rd paragraph in my quote file (yes, I have a quote file... *hangs head in shame*) under the heading "Very wise words about faith" (ok, there are no headings in my quote file, but, if there were, that would be the one your quote would go under). It's refreshing to hear a Christian questioning the idea that conviction, in and of itself, it commendable.

Btw, have you heard of these guys? I think they'd be right up your alley, as they're all about the spiritual journey, as opposed to the immutable dogma that often characterizes religion these days.

Brian Charla said...

I had to read this more than once: a trait of a good blog, in my opinion. I agree with your thoughts and am relieved at Jesus' perspective on issues like this. I don't think he expected us to have an everything-all-sorted-out kind of life. He graciously said to love Him with all you've got, love everyone else, and that will pretty much cover it.

Tyler said...

i miss you guys.