Tuesday, September 19, 2006

reminiscing

Is it wierd that I love Janis Joplin? Love. I was folding laundry to Summertime and thinking what's the deal with Janis. Well, she's cool and she's got soul, but more than that- I grew up listening to her. It seems that any music my parents listened to has been permanently burned into my psyche against my will. I can't help it. John Mellencamp, Loretta Lynn, Bruce Springsteen, Hank Williams, Tom Petty, Willie Nelson and the good old travelling music, John Denver and Simon and Garfunkle. Then there are the random, nameless songs where I just remember phrases like paint the town red and man-eater. Funny, the whole nostalgia thing. It's not quite the same with the TV shows. We watched an episode of MacGyver the other day, and I gotta tell you- he just didn't seem as brilliant and amazing. More Yeah right, MacGyver. I'm glad the homeless girl now believes in herself, but tin foil and a fan becoming a radio? Come on. And I'm sure Facts of Life wouldn't be as heartwarming with the steady stream of boy trouble, tears and hugs. And of course the happy ending and good moral lesson all rolled into one. Silly old shows. Anyway, just felt old timey. I'd love to hear what brings that far off dreamy look of nostalgia to your eyes (unless it's Friends- then you'll just make the rest of us feel old).

Ang

4 comments:

jerms said...

if you like janis joplin, check out this piece of art. the guy that did this, did most of kris and i's artwork too.

http://webarchiveor.powweb.com/download-h//tatuagens/0007.jpg

Anonymous said...

Once in a while your blog is really funny because I mistakenly think John is writing. W
hen John says "Is it weird that I love Janice Joplin?" that makes me laugh...

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Yeah, John's also been listening to Alanis Morrissette on his way to workout and crying when he runs out of gas, poor guy. Actually, these things don't make me look so cool, either. Maybe it's best we all assume John is doing all the posting. It is after all Go to the John.

Ang (I mean, John)

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Jeremy- your link finally worked for me. Very cool- thanks!