Wednesday, July 26, 2006

chic sheep

I somehow got roped into taking a consumer survey that ate up a good chunk of my lifetime in a mind- numbingly boring sort of way (Have you read a magazine in the past 6 months? How many times? Which ones? What is the average time spent reading each magazine? Have you consumed pasta in the last 6 months.....AAGGHH! How do I know!) Anyway, one thing that did capture my attention was how easily played we are by advertising. Some of the questions were on a scale of 1- 10. How important is it that I out-do and impress my neighbours with my possessions (you mean our second hand, fake wood, wal-mart and whatever's on clearance at Ikea furniture? We try to be humble, but I can't help it if people are jealous.) How important it is that people admire the things I own? Do I feel more confidant when wearing new clothes and is it essential they are brand name? Does it influence my purchase if marketed by a celebrity? Does my confidence tie directly in to the things I own? Do I reward myself with purchases? I felt embarrassed for the masses and also for myself. I'm not a stylish gal, but I don't want to be unstylish or frumpy, either (except for right now. I'm wearing mismatched pjs and my hair is in nest mode, but I'm just sayin- usually). And I enjoy putting some time, effort and $ into our home. Where's the balance between taking care of your things and your appearance vs being a consumer sheep, spending where you're told to spend on what you're told is "in". I mean, who's the ultimate decider on what's fashionable, anyway? And what's the point if it's all just to be viewed in a certain way- where's the integrity in that? In protest, I'm going to wear something totally out of fashion today- bring out the high waisted jeans and tucked in turtle neck with matching socks! And throw in some loafers for good measure! Actually, I don't own those things- shoot. Maybe I'll just go out with nest hair. Maybe.
Or not.
At least I got $25 for doing the survey- that's cool.
Ang

5 comments:

Jordan said...

Ang, have you & John ever considered writing a magazine column? Seriously, you guys are putting up some quality (i.e., entertaining, witty, etc.) stuff here! You could have like a generation-X-social-critic column in a liberal Christian magazine or something. Another option: Write a book! In fact, I hereby double-dog dare you to write a book, so now you pretty much have no choice. ;-)

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

well, I have heard the market is really hot right now for the ramblings of a minister and his housewife........
It is nice to have good review from the toughest critic, though.
But then there's the incident of the double dog dare- how to live that down.
Thanks alot, Gilligan.
Ang

Jordan said...

Bear in mind that I'm willing and able to bust out a triple-dog-dare if necessary... You have been warned.

Anonymous said...

Angie & John-

You guys are such a refreshing delight! I've been reading your blog for about 2 weeks now, and you always bring a smile to my face. Angie, seriously, three cheers for your protest of media-driven people-pleasing. I'll leave my hair in "nest" mode for the rest of the day in support. (Although, seeing as it's nearly 3:30, the odds were fairly good of that happening anyway - but at least now it's for an identified cause). I'm sure you'll be glad to have John home soon. Thanks for blogging.

Cherish
(cherish_k@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »