Monday, June 12, 2006

Living in the moment

If we could somehow measure how much time we spend thinking about the past and worrying about the future I bet we'd discover that we haven't truly lived in sometime. I certainly have been guilty of not living, especially the past few months.

According to my birth certificate, I turn 30 this year, in less then 2 months actually. Depending on the moment or who I'm talking to I either feel blessed or depressed. For instance when I'm talking with someone older, I feel blessed, when its someone younger, depressed. Why is it that we struggle so much with enjoying life today, right now, in this very moment? Why do we allow moments that have passed and moments that have yet to come to destroy the moment we are in right now. Why are we so distracted, unsettled, and dis - eased, as Ronald Rolheiser says.

If you are waiting for my wise answer, that wouldn't be wise because I wouldn't mind hearing yours. In fact, I'm tired of trying to answer that question. I'm sure many of you have asked the same questions and struggled with the same realities so here's your invitation to share what all that looks like for you.

Just recently our future became a little more clear as every career opportunity we were persuing fell through. As I sat in my living room trying to calm my mind and make sense of it all I had the distinct feeling I had finally learned the lesson God had been trying to teach me for the past 4 months: Enjoy today. Let me worry about tommorow.

I think I will. . .

1 comment:

Jordan said...

The past and future both inform the present in different ways, and this is a good thing. We learn & grow by "worrying" about the past, and we determine the overall shape of our lives by worrying about the future. So, even though I agree that it's not healthy to sit around worrying constantly, I think we should be careful not to go to the other extreme by trivializing experiences that aren't happening in the present.

Love,

Dr. Phil